It's the festive season and watching relatives and friends gorge themselves on ice cream and tasty sweets can be painful when you're trying to stay healthy and stick to a rigid nutrition plan. I know as a follower of the paleo diet the hardest thing for me to adjust to was the lack of desserts and sweets for the paleo follower. However there is hope, by replacing regular milk with coconut milk and swapping the ultra heavy chocolate and sugar filling for natural fruits and nuts we can create gorgeous and equally delicious recipes for the paleo diet follower.
I got creative earlier and here's a simple tried and tested ice cream recipe to sate the sweet tooth of the Paleolithic patron. The trick with this is preparation and smoothness, as it's tricky at first to stop the eggs from scrambling, which completely ruins the dish. Make sure the temperature is warm enough to melt the ingredients but not too hot to make them curdle and boil, once you've got this right though you will never look back.
* 400ml coconut milk
* 2 large eggs
* 3 tbsp honey
* 1/4 cup blueberries
* 1/2 cup processed strawberries
* 2 tsp cinnamon
How to make:
1. Place a heat proof bowl over a simmering pot of water. Make sure the bowl is wider than the pot so it sits on top comfortably and there is enough space under the bowl to ensure no part of it comes in direct contact with the water.
2. Place the strawberry, blueberry and honey into the bowl and heat until it's warmed through but ensure heat is low enough to prevent boiling.
3. Separately whisk the eggs. When they are thoroughly whisked slowly mix in a quarter of the wet mixture with a mixing spoon, slowly and delicately. Ensure the eggs don't scramble by maintaining a warm but not boiling temperature and constantly stirring with your spoon. Continue until all of the wet mix is mixed in and a thick creamy sauce is created.
4. Let the mixture cool off before placing into the fridge.
5. Place the mixture in a container and place in the freezer. Remove every 25 minutes for 2 and a half hours until you have a creamy ice cream.
This is a recipe that I love but it is easily customisable. Try varying the fruits in the mix and garnishing with nuts, cinnamon or any other flavours you fancy. Even sweeteners to help bring out the sharpness and taste.
Faraday and Mobile Forensics Today and Beyond
2 years ago